Saturday, July 18, 2015

Who Knew?

So I'm reading 20 Things Adopted Kids Wished Their Adoptive Parents Knew (by Sherrie Eldridge) and I learned a fascinating little factoid. If adopted kids know what their biological parents look like, or were at least told what they looked like, it is very common for the kids to choose mates who look like their biological parents (or how they picture them in their minds). My biological mother was Irish, with long red hair (much like me, although mine is bottle red. it does fit my white, freckled complexion though). And the guys I was attracted to in junior high (about the time I found out what my bio parents looked like) were the swarthy, Italian-looking types, Armand Assante, Jimi Jamison... And the ex-husband was Italian and had the dark hair & eyes that I always assumed my bio father had. They say that girls subconsciously choose men who remind them of their fathers, and it turns out was no different. I just chose guys who looked like the image of my bio father in my head. And by attempting to look like my bio mother, am I trying to recreate the dynamic of an ideal family? Even more bizarre, my current fiance reminds me of my adoptive father - not so much looks-wise, but in the way he acts and how he treats me. Do we ever really get away from our parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment